"Norway in a Nutshell®" is one of the most popular round trips in Norway. It takes you through some of the loveliest scenery in Fjord Norway. You experience The Bergen Railway line, a rail journey over the beautiful mountain plateau with views of the Hardangerjøkulen glacier. The Flåm Railway line is a spectacular rail journey where within a one hour period you travel from the mountains at Myrdal down to the fjord in Flåm.
- Norway in a Nutshell Tours is available to everyone.
- Children between the ages of 4 to 15 pay a reduced fare. Children under 4 travel for free.
- Passholder rates are available for those traveling with a Eurail Pass or Interrail Pass that is valid in Norway.
- Tour highlights include: The Bergen Railway, The Flåm Railway, The Nærøyfjord, The Aurlandsfjord, Stalheimskleiva, The Kjosfossen Waterfall and Bryggen.
- Choose from five itineraries that include standard class rail service, bus shuttle and boat excursion:
- N1400. Bergen-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen
- N1402. Voss-Myrdal-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss
- N1404. Oslo-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen
- N1406. Oslo-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Oslo
- N1408. Oslo-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen-Oslo
- Optional direction of travel is permitted.
- The Norway in a nutshell tour is available all year and can be completed in a day. However, stopovers are permitted and strongly encouraged. A 1 to 3 day period is best to fully appreciate the tour.
- Reservations are recommended on regional trains of the Bergen Railway Line.
- The Bergen Railway is a unique experience of travelling between Oslo and Bergen on Northern Europe's highest railway.
- The journey on the Flam Railway is regarded as one of the high points on the Norway in a nutshell tour. The 20km-long train journey from the mountain station of Myrdal and down to Flam deep in the fjord takes around 55 minutes. On the journey you have views of some of the most magnificent mountain scenery in Norway with an ever-changing panorama of tall mountains and thundering waterfalls. Along the Flam Railway the train moves slowly or stops at the best views.
- Departing from Flam the journey continues by boat, where you can enjoy views of splendid Norwegian fjords - now on UNESCOs World Heritage List. From Aurlandsfjord and into the Naeroyfjord, the narrowest fjord in Europe. Surrounded by mountains of up to 1,800 metres high, this branch of the Sognefjord is amazingly beautiful. Then the boat moors at Gudvangen.
- The coach journey continues up the steep and spectacular hairpin bends of Stalheimskleiva*. The road up to Stalheim Hotell has 13 steep turns. After enjoying the wonderful views of the Stalheimsfossen and Sivlefossen waterfalls, there is a short stop at the hotel to enjoy the views before the journey continues to Voss. From Voss you can continue your journey by train to Bergen or Oslo. * In winter months October-April the coach does not go up Stalheimskleiva for safety reasons.