The "Hardanger Fjord in a Nutsheel" round trip includes a train journey on the Bergen Railway line and a coach tour through attractive farmland and delightful villages typical of Western Norway. The fjord cruise on the Hardanger fjord by boat then offers spectacular views of towering mountains and impressive waterfalls.
- The Hardanger in a Nutshell Tour is available to everyone.
- Children between the ages of 4 to 15 pay a reduced fare. Children under 4 travel for free.
- Tour highlights include: The Hardangerfjord, The Bergen Railway, The Steinsdalsfossen and Bryggen.
- Choose from three itineraries that include standard class rail service, bus shuttle and boat excursion:
- 1460. Bergen - Voss- Ulvik - Eidfjord - Norheimsund - Bergen Tour
- 1462. Bergen - Northeimsund - Eidfjord - Ulvik - Voss - Oslo Tour
- 1464. Oslo - Bergen - Northeimsund - Eidfjord - Ulvik - Voss - Oslo Tour
- The Hardanger in a Nutshell Tour is available from June through August. Stopovers are permitted and strongly encouraged. A 1 to 3 day period is best to fully appreciate the tour.
- Reservations are recommended on regional trains of the Bergen Railway Line.
- Optional direction of travel is permitted, as the round trip can begin from Bergen or Oslo. If you choose to start from Bergen, you start by train on the Bergen Railway from Bergen to Voss. From Voss the tour continues by coach through attractive farmland to Ulvik, a delightful village typical of Western Norway. In Ulvik you go by boat across the beautiful Hardangerfjord to Eidfjord. You can also start the roundtrip by coach from Bergen.
- In Eidfjord you can take an interesting sightseeing tour or just relax beside the fjord, wander round the centre of Eidfjord, enjoy some lunch and visit the excellent Gallery N. Bergslien. If you choose the sightseeing tour you will explore Vøringsfossen, the biggest waterfall in Norway, and a visit to the experience centre, the Hardangervidda Nature Centre.
- A fjord cruise on the Hardangerfjord is next, with views of towering mountains, waterfalls and idyllic orchards and plenty of time on board before the boat arrives in Norheimsund.
- From Norheimsund, the tour continues by coach passing the impressive Steindalsfossen waterfall to Bergen, crossing the Kvamskogen mountain plateau.